Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Best. Screen. Material. Ever.

Our window screens are the metal mesh type, not that lightweight fiberglass kind that is like tissue paper for cats. I thought they would be strong enough when we got Xumi. Not so. She's only a six month old kitten, but weighs 11 pounds already! She started pushing on the screens and loves climbing them. I could tell that she was going to break out of the house soon if I didn't do something. So I bought some 1/2" galvanized wire cloth, and have been reinforcing all the windows and the front door screen. Good thing I did, or she'd be gone by now:

xumi screen 1 5-18-12.jpg xumi screen 2 5-18-12.jpg xumi screen 3 5-18-12.jpg

B

Breheart

Sorry you had to go through the trouble of reinforcing, but it is well worth it in the long run! It looks nice.

Keljin's breeder had a momma cat that did this same behavior, and whenever the owner was nearby the mesh to her outdoor enclosure, she would climb up just like this to be pet and be at face to face level with him, I thought it was really cute, just like your second pic too :)

I like that picture - it really shows her combined personality traits of being a holy terror and sweet at the same time.

I've also had to start leaving the bedroom door only partially open. She races down the hallway, through the door, makes one big jump onto the bed, then another right into the window! I'm scared she's going to break the glass. I'm going to hang a plexiglas barrier on that window frame. At least closing the door a bit slows her down for now.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Our window screens are the metal mesh type, not that lightweight fiberglass kind that is like tissue paper for cats. I thought they would be strong enough when we got Xumi. Not so. She's only a six month old kitten, but weighs 11 pounds already! She started pushing on the screens and loves climbing them. I could tell that she was going to break out of the house soon if I didn't do something. So I bought some 1/2" galvanized wire cloth, and have been reinforcing all the windows and the front door screen. Good thing I did, or she'd be gone by now:

View attachment 2527 View attachment 2528 View attachment 2529

Looks great!!! That is the way to do it...Zuri has two climbing posts or she would do the same thing ;)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I love the smoochy pic. I bought this stuff called Super Screen to use to enclose the patio for the SVs. There is also a product called Pet Screen that can take a lickin' by cats & dogs but because of its weave, it obstructs the view a little bit.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
I just open my windows about 2 inches and put the clamps on the runners. It doesn't allow too much airflow upstairs, but it keeps the cats in. Luckily I have a security screen on the front door that is cat proof.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have used the security screening that is used on security doors and that has worked well (and keeps most flying insects out as well). I have been thwarted by the sliding screen door though - what did you use to attach the screen to yours?

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
I may need to look into doing that! She is about the same size as Kovu *6 months, 12lbs* & his beloved cat tree just broke. He's been climbing on anything & everything & I'm afraid to open the windows (especially upstairs) for fear of him busting through the screen.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I just open my windows about 2 inches and put the clamps on the runners. It doesn't allow too much airflow upstairs, but it keeps the cats in. Luckily I have a security screen on the front door that is cat proof.

Jacq, what is security screening?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Security screening is the screening used for security doors. You can buy it in (door sized) sheets at Home Depot.