Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Bad vision?

Paul B

Sorte
Any one else's Savvy seem like they don't see things well? Or act like things aren't there at least? Sorte is funny about seeing things unless they are moving. Like when we are playing if I drop the toy in a garbage can or something too fast, he won't know where it went unless it makes noise. Or if I'm giving him a treat and I put it in my palm, he has to smell my whole hand looking for it, even if I'm pointing at it.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I had a kitten that I was convinced wasn't seeing things properly...I'd wave a wand toy and she'd be watching somewhere else and if she pounced it would miss. I took her to the vet and they couldn't determine any issues...with time we realized that what it was is that Coco is a shadow chaser. She gets distracted by shadows and will chase them crazily... and so all the time we thought she wasn't seeing things, she was just seeing things differently :)

As to Sorte, I think many cats don't always track the movement and yes if it isn't moving they aren't going to necessarily bother going looking for it. Sorte may also know that if he just waits 5 seconds you'll go fetch that toy and play again...they can really train US!! When you are feeding treats, it may depend on a number of things...the strength of the odor of the treat and how much visual contrast it has from the skin of your hand? And a strong smelling treat might transfer all over your hand and confuse them.

I'm not saying Sorte doesn't have any visual issues, I've not met him to know...but I don't know that I'd worry too much yet...

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
My F3B Tart girl is like that, too. She doesn't seem to see some things...she totally ignores the laser pointer, and doesn't seem to even see the red dot, and balls tossed or rolled her way don't get touched....but get out a shiny wand toy, and she nails it everytime!

Interesting, Brigitte....I wonder if Tart is a shadow chaser, too? I will have to test that out...

admin

Paige
Staff member
It is interesting - thanks for the info, Brigitte. I never heard of shadow chasing, but it makes a lot of sense.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Pam, Coco loves laser dots as well. But every night, she gets onto the bed and waits for me to come...my bedside reading lamp makes great shadows and she expects me to waggle my fingers for her playtime :) She knows that I am making the shadows, and never seems to mind that she doesn't CATCH anything...

Per Lausund

Staff member
Contrary to popular opinion, cats do not see well, but have very sharp eyesight: any change of profile or any movement gets them at once, but they generally struggle to recognise a face that is kept still. Also, they do not see well what is in front of their mouths, they depend on smell or pheromone recognition (using the vomeronasal organ in the frontal palate) to "find" edibles there.
Their sight physiology is dedicated to hunting and quick reactions.
They may still have eye problems though, so if in doubt, get it checked.
:)
P

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks, Per! I think my girl just does not react to the laser pointer; I've had cats like that before, domestics. And I think she believes she is just a bit better than the other cats to chase a lowly ball...:) She does love her wand toys, though! And a black rat fur-stuffed toy....that's hers alone. She does chase that if I throw it...then she hides it somewhere...there must be a stash of them hidden but I haven't found it yet....;)

Per Lausund

Staff member
Thanks, Per! I think my girl just does not react to the laser pointer; I've had cats like that before, domestics. And I think she believes she is just a bit better than the other cats to chase a lowly ball...:) She does love her wand toys, though! And a black rat fur-stuffed toy....that's hers alone. She does chase that if I throw it...then she hides it somewhere...there must be a stash of them hidden but I haven't found it yet....;)
We lifted the end of a couch the other day, now we have cat toys again!
:up: