Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Alternative to microchipping?!

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Beckki, I am terrified of needles. I am happy to say that my boys are not afraid of needles.
There are a couple of threads on this I believe.
I have one boy who LOVES the vet's office, so he goes on every visit. Jarvis and Mickey are more nervous, but warm up pretty quickly to the staff. Jarvis remembers having a catheter inserted, so he is tougher, but by the end of every visit, he tends to be calm if not happy.
I break shots up into 2-3 visits per cat- it costs more but it is less stress their systems in my opinion, so they all go 2-3 times per year.

I do take Mickey in the carrier with me sometimes when I am taking D somewhere, but I'm a bit cautious with that. Mickey is less confident outside of the house than D is. I only routinely take D in the car, the other two only go on car rides to the vet or to the one local pet store where I let them pick out their own toys.

Elsa at the Vet over all does well, as she knows all the workers.... Sometimes she will get upset when multiple dogs come in together... However, once in the back with the doctor she does well... She likes her doctor... Of course they have spent a lot of time together... She does not seem to be scared of needles, but I sure am!

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Splitting up into multiple visits per year isn't a horrible plan at all. Ouch a catheter? I guess it all comes down to temperament in the end

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Splitting up into multiple visits per year isn't a horrible plan at all. Ouch a catheter? I guess it all comes down to temperament in the end

While Elsa was down, she had one for 3 days, and even when feeling better did not even try to scratch at it.. Did not bother her at all...

Rafiki

Site Supporter
After they were microchipped, we opened the bedroom door to let them out. At first they took off down the hallway. Turns out both went to the litter box but came right back. They walked up to Dr. Sandy and started checking out the bags and equipment that was brought in like nothing had happened.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
That's awesome. guess my cat may have a stronger nerve than me. I would be cowering In the corner lol